Welcome to Write Through The Roof, the podcast for writers who want to improve their craft.
Episode 25 with Stephen Volk – horror screenwriter & author
“If you can’t write a good scene, write a bad one.”
Episode 25 – Stephen Volk – Show Notes
- Mixing up different lengths and mediums helps storytelling
- Surrounding writing space with ‘friends’
- Alcohol is a truth killer
- Clash between belief and rationalism, fear of the unknown, how finding out about your past affects your future
- Exploring horror, asking why are we attracted to the genre and exploring through story
- Cool down, don’t rush and go back to it
- Keeping your story secret or testing it?
- Patrick McGrath, Stephen Gallagher, Taylor Sheridan, Liam Gavin, Yiorgos Lanthimos, Damon Lindelof, Tom Perrotta
- Exploring repercussions of crime and criminals rather than solving a crime
- The Dark Masters trilogy; Whitstable with Peter Cushing, Leytonstone with Alfred Hitchcock and a new story with secret true life character.
- With a long project you can lose impetus if you take a break
- Madeleine’s tip – battling the mushy middle
“After 30 years, it’s still hard to look at a blank page.”
“Don’t start the day with a problem hanging over you.”