Welcome to Write Through The Roof, the podcast for writers who want to improve their craft.
Episode 32 with Margaret Skea – historical fiction writer
“I like taking myself and my readers to a place we’ve never been.”
Episode 32 – Margaret Skea – Show Notes
- Storyboard on cardboard with post-it notes
- Silence, chocolate & freedom from distractions
- Exploring conflict and tribalism after growing up in the Troubles.
- Self-editing, being ruthless, editing as a puzzle
- Details, getting research wrong and rabbits
- Journey into historical fiction
- Trying writing in 1st person and present tense
- Katharine Luther as a shadowy character and inspired by 500th anniversary of the Reformation
- Winston Graham, Daphne du Maurier, Rumer Godden
“The more words I lose in the editing process, the more successful I think the editing is.”
“A good editor challenges me.”