Episode 70 – interview with sci-fi author, podcaster and writing coach, RR Campbell.
“There’s no Twitter, no email. The coffee is here. The time has come.”
Episode 70 – Show Notes
- Meticulous planner rather than pantser – with scene by scene outlines. This means every morning he wakes up and knows exactly what he’s going to write
- Analytical approach to writing – informed by linguistics background
- Daily writing ritual – coffee pot on a timer and ready to go
- Re-reading a favourite author as writing fuel
- Empathy between characters. Epistolary novel form.
- Five core components to any scene: setting, goal, conflict, resolution, cliffhanger/pivot/change
- Margaret Atwood. David Mitchell
- Empathy series – internet access brain implants inspired by smartphones
- Taking time away from a manuscript to get perspective before retooling
- Multiple points of view, dimensions and shout-outs
“Finding the best way to create empathy between the character and the reader.”
“There are five core components to any scene.”
Podcast: Play in new window | Download