Episode 62 with Suzanne J Willis – fantasy short story & flash-fiction writer
‘The best kind of fairies, you know, the nasty ones’
Episode 62 – Suzanne J Willis – Show Notes
- A natural pantser but learning to plot and outline. A structure helps to hit the right beats
- Making notes every day but not writing every day
- Tea and chocolate – freckles
- Connection between music and writing: lyrical and poetic.
- Themes of lack of belonging, search for self or a home, life and music
- Learning that the language is secondary to the story and the interaction between characters gives rise to the plot
- Writing novellas: taking up an opportunity
- Jeanette Winterson, Patricia McKillip, Margaret Atwood, Neil Gaiman, Angela Slater
- Importance of word of mouth for recommendations
- Portals and evil fairies in ‘Silver String in between worlds’
- Novella for Broken Cities shared world for Falstaff Books.
- Upcoming stories in Syntax & Salt Magazine
‘The language is inseparable from the story itself’
‘It’s a good thing to learn your bad habits.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Leave a Reply