Welcome to Write Through The Roof, the podcast for writers who want to improve their craft.
Episode 55 – Orna Ross – poet, novelist & non-fiction writer
“Formally practising with free writing gives you all sort of training as a writer but also as a human being.”
Episode 55 – Orna Ross – Show Notes
- Wanting to write fiction when writing non-fiction and vice versa
- Write for the first couple of hours each day
- Writing full time led to procrastination
- Coffee. Never tea.
- Themes of conversations around difference.
- Self-awareness – free writing – writing fast, raw, exact & easy with no end-game
- Meditate for 15 minutes, then free writing for 15 minutes, review once a week
- Closed Facebook group
- Creatives need to stay open to change
- There are no
short cutsto becoming a good writer
- Ezra Pound, Yeats, George Eliot – Middlemarch, modern poetry movement – rap, performance, slams, in the pub & in the street, Instagram poetry
- Keepers – inspirational poetry collection. Self-published as a low-risk experiment but began to question assumptions
- Non-fiction project – Go Creative nine book series for creative business people
- Trying a different approach to launch – once
targetfor pre-orders is reached, the book is launched
- Agility in independent publishing
“Writing as a stolen pleasure.”
“Coffee is the fluid of the devil.”