Welcome to Write Through The Roof, the podcast for writers who want to improve their craft.
Episode 36 with Michelle Worthington – award-winning picture book author
“Kids are so bombarded with visuals these days, they love verbal storytelling.”
Episode 36 – Michelle Worthington – Show Notes
- Picture books can be scribbled on the back of napkin or receipt
- Learning the industry & the craft after getting the first book published
- Coffee and Mum chocolate
- Writing a story for one person in particular. Empowering kids who are not represented in other books.
- Reading and ask your audience what they’re reading and why they like it.
- Talking with teachers about child development and the stages.
- Be a lifelong learner
- Authors are small businesses. The best businesses are the best storytellers.
The story you create around yourself as an author. Creating your author brand.
- Publishers are looking for people to work with, not stories
- 80s picture books with Australian voice; Mem Fox, Mulga Bill, Man From Snowy River, YA, Stephen King, Jackie French, Nevermore
- Pugs Don’t Wear Pyjamas based on a real person with a real pug.
- Worries about creativity after publishing fifteen books. Stop and listen to your creative voice.
- Coming up – Beards and Middle Grade fiction
“Lovely words that not only look good but sound good too.”
“Authors are small businesses.”