Welcome to Write Through The Roof, the podcast for writers who want to improve their craft.
Episode 53 – Vanessa Garcia – novelist, playwright & journalist
“Write the scenes you want to write.”
Episode 53 – Vanessa Garcia – Show Notes
- Sesame Street writers room
- Intersperse long projects with shorter projects
- Playwriting is collaborative with the director and scenes devised in the moment
- Writing whenever you can.
- Cuban coffee – cafecito
- Obsessed with Cuba – overcoming economic and familial embargoes. Obsessed with erased stories for refugees. Motherhood.
- Write the scenes you want to write. Don’t worry about bridges connecting the scenes.
- Discipline. Time carved out for writing and sharing your writing
- Hiding away from writing advice
- Using spreadsheets for interactive theatre – audiences following different stories happening at the same time
- Reinaldo Arenas, Leonardo Padura, TV shows ‘I’m Sorry’,’Broad City’ and kids TV.
- Amparo – inspired by a call from a marketing company then turned into an experiential theatre work. The story of the family who created the real Havana Club Rum.
“Storytelling and then story selling.”
“There’s writing coming out of TV which is just as literary.”
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Leave a Reply