Welcome to Write Through The Roof, the podcast for writers who want to improve their craft.
Episode 20 with Caroline Mitchell – best selling crime & thriller writer
“I say ‘how could you not have ideas?’ Look around you.”
Episode 20 – Caroline Mitchell – Show Notes
- Writing a synopsis and the hook before starting to write
- Coffee, music and social media before a day’s writing
- Dark themes, exploring the darker side of human nature and the ripple effects from crime. Nothing is black and white in the police.
- Silent Victim is a story of grooming and a body buried in the backyard
- Keep learning all the time, always push yourself
- Dictation; first draft without touching the keyboard
- Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Mel Sherratt, Angela Marsons
- Combination of her past experiences in the police along with fresh ideas
- Pivoting to reach more readers
- Madeleine’s tip – explorations in dictation
“If the gin comes out I’m not having a good day.”
“Dialogue is lot more natural when you dictate.”