Welcome to Write Through The Roof, the podcast for writers who want to improve their craft.
Episode 58 – Patty Jansen– award-winning science-fiction & fantasy writer
‘Don’t bore the reader. Don’t annoy the reader. Don’t confuse the reader.’
Episode 58 – Patty Jansen – Show Notes
- Do something on the manuscript every day
- Being a rebel and going with the flow
- Writing after
4pmand into the evening
- Themes – down to earth, gritty and difficult topics – sex, religion and politics. Duality in the problems the characters face.
- Writing workshops – the value is not the critiques you receive but what you learn from reading other people’s work. The bigger the group the better
- Handling critiques
- Online Writing Workshop for Science-Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
- The three rules for writing; don’t bore the reader, don’t annoy the reader & don’t confuse the reader.
- Concentrate on telling a good story. Get a reader and an editor and don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Non-fiction reading – the psychology of marketing and political biographies. In fiction, writers who can write across genres – Harry Potter/Robert Galbraith
- Ambassador series – different ecosystems, politics and conspiracies, action, Kiwis in space. Currently working on book 9.
‘It is up to you. It’s not up to them to write your book.’
‘It is a fantasy setting but it obviously has reverberations in the real world.’
Podcast: Play in new window | Download